Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 4 My own "Trail of Tears"

 April 16, 2013



Yesterday, April 15 was a sad, sad day for the nation.  My heart goes out to all the people affected by the tragedy of the "Boston Bombings".  It has been said that there were around 75 people from St. Louis that were running the marathon, not including their families.  As far as I know, they are all accounted for!  For the people who were not so lucky....It wasn't much but my miles today, were in your honor. 

It had been raining all through the night and most of the day today.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it in but I did.  My first mile was in total silence.  Nothing but my feet hitting the pavement, the sounds of birds chirping in the trees and the occasional vehicle driving by.  The scenery was beautiful.  The sidewalk was littered with the debris from the Bradford Pear trees and there was the occasional puddle of water that lay in a pool over the sidewalk.  Typically, this wouldn't have been my favorite running conditions (who am I kidding, I don't have a favorite running condition) but today I was just grateful to be able to be running. 

I came to my favorite part of trail, where it opens wide and all you see is a long road, lined with trees on either side.  I started thinking about Martin.  The  8 year old boy who was killed by debris, as he ran to congratulate his father who was crossing the finish line.  I tell you something, there is something so different about tears running down your face while you're running.  Its hard to explain and it's going to sound cheesy but it was as if I had more energy.  Maybe it was the anger I was feeling, I don't know. 

Even as I sit here, typing this blog, I am struggling to keep back the tears.  My heart literally hurts for the victims of the bombings. But as a mother, I am overly sensitive when it comes to the children.  It is my hope and prayer that as Martin ran to his father, that he was so overjoyed and full of pride in his dad, that he never knew what hit him.

We are a racing family.  Greg has crossed many, many finish lines and we both will cross many more.  You never know when you will cross your last.

Rest in peace....you will not be forgotten!

My Challenge to my readers....if you haven't been able to get off the couch yet or don't even have the desire....do it now, if only just once, for the victims of the Boston Bombing.  And when you do, let me know!  Either leave me a comment here or find me on FACEBOOK under Catrina Houston.  Lace 'em up...there are lots of people who wish they could!!

No comments:

Post a Comment